As 2020 comes to a close we invite you to reflect on the past year and look to the year ahead. This year was tough for everyone and we went straight to work providing support to multicultural college students, aspiring business owners, and existing business owners. In short, we are very proud of all of our accomplishments.
We pause to take a moment to review all that we accomplished in 2020, together.
2020 Organizational Updates and Announcements
- Selected as one of four national organizations responsible for the development and disbursement of a $10 M fund for Black businesses funded by American Express in partnership with the US Chamber of Commerce – the Coalition to Back Black Business which has awarded more than $2.5 million to 600 Black-owned businesses
- Graduated more than 400 women entrepreneurs since March 2020, some of whom have gone on to be featured and Forbes and participate in $100,000 competitions with large funding partners, among many other successes
- Funded by Paypal as part of their $500 million Black business commitment to support our work to train and prepare minority women entrepreneurs
- Launched the first and only Minority Women Entrepreneur COVID-19 Impact Research Study Funded by the Gates Foundation to be released in Spring 2021
- Onboarded 15 National City Directors representing fifteen cities across the nation
- We are proud to have launched our new vertical, Walker’s Legacy Latina to double down on our commitment to support multicultural women entrepreneurs:
- Launched our Latina Engagement Summit
- Graduated more than twenty Latina entrepreneurs through our 3-month PROSPECTUS Latina Accelerator
- We are proud to welcome our newest Latina Engagement Fellow, Aura Ordonez Molina who has joined our organization to support the growth of this new initiative and vertical
- Launched new Men Who Enterprise vertical:
- Hosted Men Who Enterprise Summit with more than 30 speakers and nearly 500 participants check out the video recap here.
- This holiday season we unveiled our new Subscription Boss Box designed to showcase women of color entrepreneurs while providing books and inspirational materials for the professional woman.
- We are proud to have awarded more than $7,000 in COVID-19 Relief Grant Fund Scholarships to 70 displaced students across the nation impacted by the COVID-19 university shut down
- This year we launched a $25,000 Scholarship for Enterprising Women at Howard University to support enterprising senior college students
During such turbulent times, Walker’s Legacy is proud to have risen to the occasion of providing support and resources to women of color-led entrepreneurs. We have much to be grateful for and thank you for your involvement and support.
Please stay tuned for exciting announcements from our team on forthcoming efforts in 2021.