Did you know that aside from money, work is one of the biggest contributors to stress? According to Stress.org, 83% of U.S. workers suffer from work-related stress. 25% of people also say their job is the number one stressor in their lives.
No wonder, it’s becoming more common now to find companies that have corporate wellness plans that their employees can participate in. This is great news, but what do you do if you’re an entrepreneur and captain of your own ship? Even if you’re still working a 9-5, the question remains, how do you create a workplace environment that helps you feel your best and avoid stress?
To answer this question: you create your own personal workplace wellness plan. Your personal workplace wellness plan can address your personal needs. A simple way to start is by assessing your work habits. If you’re an entrepreneur, it helps to be mindful of the way you work because the lines can get very blurry when knowing how to manage working, playing, caring for others, etc. especially if you’re ambitious.
Work will probably be a part of most of our lives for a very long time, so it may be tempting to believe that the habits we have now won’t impact us in the long run. However, the reality is that most of us want to continue progressing and evolving in our careers, so while some things may get better as we grow in our careers, they don’t necessarily get easier. There will always be more work to do, goals to chase, and things to check off our to-do lists. The cycle rarely ends. So taking time to consider how your current habits impact your health will set you on a path to success without stress and lead to a more fulfilling life.
Why you may need new healthy work habits:
- We spend most of our time and energy working
- For many women, a challenging work-life can create emotions like guilt that impact our joy, stress levels, and confidence as mothers and lovers
- Overworking is still very common and sometimes it’s difficult for entrepreneurs to draw the line between work and everything else
- Your work habits will definitely impact every other aspect of your life
So how do you create work habits that help you feel your best and avoid stress?
- Create a vision for your work life. How do you want to feel each day and at the end of your work cycle?
- Make note of your main sources of stress at work. How can you get support with these things?
- Incorporate your favorite wellness practices into your day in simple ways.
- Consider the 4 areas of wellness and ask yourself where you may need the most help? Mentally, physically, spiritually, emotionally
- Don’t overwhelm yourself by trying to DO too many things. Focus on the most important things that you need right now and the habits that will help address your biggest challenges. Less is more and awareness and intention are what will create the most impact.
Examples of habits for each area of wellness:
Mental: Finding ways to take things off your plate when you feel overwhelmed (i.e. to-do list, project list)
Physical: Planning meals that do not weigh you down and drain your energy
Spiritual: Engaging in prayer before checking social media in the morning
Emotional: Being mindful about how you or your employees respond to negative comments on social media
Hopefully, these tips get your creative juices flowing and help you get started thinking about ways to create your personal workplace wellness plan. Always remember that you have the power to choose the kind of life you want to live. If you want to enjoy your life, then paying attention to your health at work will always serve you well.
Post contributed by Walker’s Writer Naajiya Dodson. Naajiya is a success and self care coach that enjoys helping women create lives with more harmony and less stress so they can be energized, aligned, peaceful and pampered while still making a contribution to the world. You can connect with her at heartandsoulgoals.com and on LinkedIn.