Walker’s Legacy and the NRF Foundation are excited to partner together to bring Be An Innovator: Retail Entrepreneurship Program for University Students. This 6-week program is designed to provide undergraduate women of color with the keys to success and knowledge to thrive as retail entrepreneurs.
Program Dates: March 6- April 17, 2021
This program is an expansion of the Be An Innovator Summit and will provide a deeper exploration experience for students to both learn from a dedicated instructor and gain knowledge about starting and running a business alongside a national cohort.
Successful students will graduate from the program with a certificate of completion and deep exposure to the principles of starting and running a successful retail business.
Applications Open: January 4, 2020
Application Deadline: February 15, 2021
1. Initial Start-up Considerations: Exploring the Life of Entrepreneurs – This module will cover key factors of success, important start-up considerations, addressing shortfalls, and essential components of a business plan.
2. Retail 101 – This module will cover various types of retailers and the challenges and opportunities within the retail sector. The module is designed to aid students in understanding the retail eco-system.
3. Marketing for Your Small Business – This module will cover consumer and organizational buying behavior, strategic marketing, product and brand management, pricing, and integrated marketing communications.
4. Technology for Your Small Business – This module will cover effective technology branding strategies, social networking, and technologies to streamline business processes.
5. Strategic Growth: Growing and Expanding Your Small Business – This module will cover the implications of organization growth, globalization, outsourcing, competition drivers, and increasing service requirements for start-ups and small businesses. Students will also explore the different opportunities for funding including venture capital, crowdfunding, and angel investors.
6. Presenting for Investors – This module will cover effective oral presentation delivery, communication with stakeholders, and presenting for investors. Students will also learn the benefits of and best strategies for pitch competitions.