Who are we?
Are you interested in working on a dynamic, smart, and collaborative team? Do you want to apply your communications and marketing abilities to help an organization grow it’s reach and amplify its mission and values? At Walker’s Legacy, we believe everyone deserves an opportunity to do good work that empowers them, including you. We are a passionate and committed team who genuinely enjoys our jobs while celebrating a new chapter of impact and growth. Inspired by the ground-breaking accomplishments and powerful legacy of America’s first self made millionaire, Madam C.J. Walker, Walker’s Legacy is a national organization, collaborating with global brands to drive local change for women entrepreneurs of color.
Headquartered in Washington, D.C., we execute accelerators and programs in 19 markets across the U.S. and engage with audiences around the world via our digital platform.
What do we do?
Founded in 2009, we are one of the longest running and largest digital platforms, existing to inspire, equip, and engage professional and entrepreneurial women of color through thought-provoking content, culturally responsive programming and a socially connected global community. In 2016, we launched the Walker’s Legacy Foundation to further our commitment to improving the economic prosperity of marginalized multicultural women and girls. Collectively, we have a network of thousands of women and dozens of partners ensuring that new legacies are established and economic inequality is eradicaticated.
Who we are seeking?
We are looking for a Marketing Communications Manager to work directly with Walker’s Legacy’s leadership team, staff and partners to coordinate the development of external communications and copy including newsletters and content, press releases, media advisories, media engagement, publications, speech writing, social media and website. The ideal applicant should have a strong understanding of the issues impacting businesses of color, women and the economy, along with communications, public relations, media relations and the digital media landscape.
In this role you will:
- Manage the development and implementation of advertising and marketing campaigns/tactics to support promotions, new services, and to meet WL business objectives.
- Monitor and report on campaign progress and effectiveness to leadership.
- Set up social media and website analytics to understand the online trends and movement of Walker’s Legacy’s online audience. Track, share and improve regular reports on social media and website performance to report.
- Project manage activities including: research, discovery, and marketing/launch plan creation (i.e. content, videos, web presence, advertisements, and support in live or virtual conferences).
- Manage content creation to be distributed to our members and general media/public including weekly newsletters, national and local programming announcements, press releases, and other monthly public relations literature where needed.
- Provide support to other marketing stakeholders in the development of content for business development associates including: email copy, campaign content, and new services/feature releases.
- Utilize the reach of partners, supporters and other influencer channels to tell the WL story and meet WL public relations and business goals.
- Monitor and oversee the creation of content for all social network mediums and website/microsites.
- Engage print and digital media outlets on behalf of the organization’s programming.
- Coordinate content schedule on social media and website content calendar, ensuring brand consistency in marketing and social media messages.
- Consistently increase presence on existing platforms including Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Twitter.
- Actively listen to conversations on social media about issues and topics important to the organization.
- Work closely with the graphic designer to translate vision into designed materials.
- Support event marketing through coordinating signage plans and design as well as placement.
- Coordinate day to day deliverables of WL interns and collaborate with communications consultants and contributing writers.
- Ensure media lists are updated and utilized to pitch stories.
- Support the development and execution of Walker’s Legacy’s digital community and ongoing engagement of members and followers;
- Support logistics for online events and programs.
- Maintain and organize files and processes for the communications department.
- Quality control and editing for copy and video being produced/issued by WL.
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing priorities and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Self-starter and self-sufficient
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a high-volume, deadline-driven environment.
- Proven ability to build team rapport and work effectively across multiple departments.
- Positive attitude with a strong dose of grit and ability to not only identify issues but create solutions.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Strong editing, planning and project management skills.
- Experience in creating content for digital and print marketing channels.
- Experience writing in AP format a plus Proficiency in Microsoft Office and the Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience editing and writing in both traditional and digital formats
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Existing media relations and contacts.
- Experience in public relations, media, corporate communications, or advertising required.
- Experience using Mailchimp, WordPress, and Constant Contact.
- High proficiency in Google suite of apps.
- Knowledge of issues, resources and programming to support women of color entrepreneurs.
- Three years experience; a degree in public relations, marketing, mass communications, journalism, English or related field.
Submit: Resume, cover letter, two writing samples, along with your Social Media handles to firstname.lastname@example.org – deadline to apply May 30, 2021