Are you passionate about women’s empowerment? Love to uncover awesome stories about women leading, the latest trends in business, the ever elusive concept of work-life-balance, or other business and economic topics related to the broader women’s empowerment movement?
We do too!!
Walker’s Legacy, a platform for professional and enterprising multicultural women seeks a contracted EIC/Content Manager role to assist the organization with expanding our multimedia editorial offerings, helping us find and work with a dope team of amazing writers who are passionate about our editorial mission to explore, re-define, and develop narratives about and for professional and enterprising women of color.
What you’ll be working on:
As the editor-in-chief/content manager for our digital platform you will be responsible for the day-to-day operations related to the management of content associated with our online platform including:
- Develop various stories and content ideas to help set the direction of the platform
- Developing, hiring, and managing a pipeline of talented freelance writers and videographer
- Managing the development and allocation of editorial budget
- Launching, managing and editing general and collegiate writing fellowship program
- Managing a team of interns, writers and contributors against an organizational and editorial schedule
- Establishing and developing featured expert contributors
- Managing bi-weekly ‘Ask a Boss’ series with experts and industry leaders
- Editing and providing final review for articles submitted by writers and contributors
- Developing layouts and design for content and digital layout
- Working with team to develop editorial themes (monthly, quarterly, by event) that are aligned with our mission and the organization’s goals
- Engaging with press and media outlets on behalf of Walker’s Legacy in partnership with communications manager
- Identifying and leveraging new products and technologies the organization can leverage to advance the reach and scale of its content
- Managing posting and editing of content on Walker’s Legacy platform
- Checking for plagiarism, accuracy, facts, and other important copyright or liable issues
- Make sure that the rules of print/digital media are followed
Who you’d be working with…
We’re a hybrid media company that works to produce editorial content and events to inform, equip and prepare multicultural women in business. With that being said, we have a team that is constantly learning and exploring new ways to continue to grow and expand the scale, reach and impact of our work.
If your used to the perks/hours of corporate America, always want to stay at the finest hotels and/or don’t do startups, I would probably stop reading here…
If you are a hard worker looking for an opportunity to really carve a niche for a mission driven platform (and yourself), love the variability of a start-up, love coming up with exciting ideas that you could literally launch nationally the next day, like the idea of potentially being on a plane, working from our shared office diggs or on the road, and have an existing rolodex of other contributing writers and content creators… then KEEP READING.
Who we’re looking for:
- Hungry, ambitious, has something to prove to and contribute to the world — MAJOR KEY!
- Likes working with a small but go-getting group of women with all the aforementioned attributes
- Familiarity and awareness and previous writing experiences in the areas of business, economic, start-ups, technology, diversity an absolute requirement
- Has at least 5 years of professional experience in editorial, writing, content creation
- Attention to detail
- Basically sees whats wrong with this sentences
- Probably read this position description and saw an editorial way to make it better
- Understands our commitment to the cause of multicultural women
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Expert listening skills and ability to interact with people effectively
- Effective judgment and decision making skills and of good character
- Expert in managing time and completing given tasks within the decided time frame
- Expert knowledge about communication, mass media, content creation platforms
- Creative and innovative
- Ability to tolerate stress and work efficiently even under pressure
- Excellent leadership qualities
- Social media and promotion of content
- Cross posting on other media platforms (LinkedIn, Medium)
And, it would be awesome if you are interested in being a public expert on the topic too…
We also want someone who sees the value of having a voice and is interested in opportunities to share their thoughts, insights and talents on panels, at workshops and other public venues on behalf of the organization and our mission, when and if appropriate.
Please note that this position is a contractor role.