Walker’s Legacy is proud to establish the Walker’s Legacy Foundation to help us reach an even greater number of women of color, many of whom have business and entrepreneurial aspirations, yet lack the basic access to education, tools and resources needed to be successful.
In its formation, the Walker’s Legacy Foundation will be guided by our continued commitment to the principles of Madam C. J. Walker and her deep-rooted commitment to civic and community engagement. The Walker’s Legacy Foundation will establish programming to support low-income entrepreneurial-minded women, and will work to cultivate a community of university chapters to advance connection and collaboration with university-age women.
For more information, please visit www.walkerslegacy.com/about-the-foundation/.
Managing Director: Walker’s Legacy Foundation
Washington, DC | Part-time, Full-time
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Managing Director (MD) will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for the Walker’s Legacy, programs, expansion, team and execution of its mission. S/he will initially develop deep knowledge of field, core programs, operations, and business plans.
Leadership & Management:
- Ensure ongoing programmatic excellence, program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals
- Actively engage and energize Walker’s Legacy Foundation volunteers, board members, event committees, partnering organizations, and funders
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong Board of Directors: serve as ex-officio of each committee, seek and build board involvement with strategic direction for both ongoing local operations as well as for the national rollout
- Lead, coach, develop, and retain Walker’s Legacy Foundation’s contract team to ensure effective systems to track scaling progress, and regularly evaluate program components, so as to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the board, funders, and other constituents
Fundraising & Communications:
- Expand national revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing program operations and regional expansion
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications—from web presence to external relations with the goal of creating a stronger brand in conjunction with public relations team
- Use external presence and relationships to garner new opportunities
- Liaise with federal, state and local political and business leaders to champion the advancement of women of color in business.
Planning & New Business:
- In conjunction with Founding Chairwoman, design national expansion and complete the strategic business planning process for program expansion into new markets
- Begin to build partnerships in new markets, establishing relationships with the funders, and political and community leaders at each expansion sites, where necessary
- Be an external local and national presence that publishes and communicates program results with an emphasis on the successes of the local program as a model for regional and national replication
The ED will be thoroughly committed to the mission of the Walker’s Legacy Foundation. Viable candidates should have proven leadership, entrepreneurial, and relationship management experience.
Concrete demonstrable experience and other qualifications include:
- Commitment and passion for advancing the cause of women and girls of color in business and economic equity
- Experience with effectively leading and regionally and/or nationally scaling a performance- and outcomes-based start-up organization and team; ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed
To apply: Please submit resume, letter of interest, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject for email submission must be “Candidate for Managing Director – Walker’s Legacy Foundation,” All submissions without this will be discarded.